Monday, January 29, 2018

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 1.29.18

This weekly post comes from Jen at Teach Mentor Texts
 and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers.  
It's a great source to find new books to use with your students.


Last Week's Adventures

Need some new STEAM books for your library?  Check out this list here.

I love this new girl-power series for young readers - PRINCESS PULVERIZER!

Looking for some picture book biographies featuring some talented woman?  A list for you!

I can't wait to celebrate Smart Cookie with readers tomorrow!  Come visit over here and read an interview with author, Elly Swartz and check out the giveaway - open until this evening (Monday the 29th)!


Picture Books

Wild One
Wild One
written by Jane Whittingham
illustrated by Noel Tuazon
I'm so excited to read and share this book written by follow blogger - @raincityjane!
Sweet rhyming book that would be perfect to read to a little one at bedtime, or use it as a sensory and motor break and act out the movements and stretches depicted in the book.
Congrats, Jane!

How to Grow a Dinosaur
How to Grow a Dinosaur
written by Jill Esbaum
illustrated by Mike Boldt
Will add this to my how to collection - doesn't have a perfect how-to format, but shows other transition words to use.
Love some of the book cameos Mike Boldt threw in!

The Digger and the Flower
The Digger and the Flower
by Joseph Kuefler
I have never read a Kuefler book once and put it down and away.  All three books have required an immediate reread.  I look for something I didn't see before.  I look for clarification.  I look to wonder more.  His messages to young readers are profound in ways that surprise me.  This one is no exception.  I also love the different artistic techniques in this book over his other two.  

Yellow Kayak
Yellow Kayak
written by Nina Laden
illustrated by Melissa Castrillon
Beautifully written in rhyming, two word (almost always) lines.  This book tells the story of a young boy and his friend who are swept away in their yellow kayak and the surprising adventure they are about to have.

The Great Dictionary Caper
The Great Dictionary Caper
written by Judy Sierra
illustrated by Eric Comstock
This is a must have book if you teach any grammar in your day.  Has great examples of different grammatical ideas - such as palindromes, interjections, words that don't rhyme, even archaic words (and don't worry, their definitions are in the glossary at the end of the book!)

Mae Among the Stars
Mae Among the Stars
written by Roda Ahmed
illustrated by Stasia Burrington
Based upon Mae Jemison's childhood and the way her parents always encouraged her to follow her dreams of becoming an astronaut.  Be careful that this book does not end up in your nonfiction shelves - while based upon a real person, the book is filled with imagined conversations, not actual quotes.  A good book to use to show the character traits of determination and perseverance.

Middle Grade

Checked
Checked
by Cynthia Kadohata
I think this one is going to be well liked by readers.  Conor has three loves in his life - his dad, hockey and his dog, Sinbad.  Conor plays competitive hockey and his life really revolves around his training.  But when he finds out Sinbad has cancer, is Conor willing to put his hockey on hold to help his dog get the medical help he needs?  
publishes Feb. 6th
review copy from Edelweiss

The Art of the Swap
The Art of the Swap
by Kristine Carlson Asselin and Jen Malone
Think Freaky Friday/Back to the Future meets historical time period piece!  Hannah (present time character) and Maggie (lived during the early 1900s character) switch place in time and must rush to solve an art heist without having any consequences in the future!  Long, but fun, this will appeal to readers who enjoy realistic fiction and historical fiction!  They get the best of both worlds with this one!
publishes Feb. 13th
review copy from Edelweiss

Young Adult

American Panda
American Panda
by Gloria Chao
I read this one last year, but I can't remember if I ever reviewed it here.  If it's not on your radar, make sure it get there.  Such a fun young adult read - Mei tries to navigate the world of college and balance it with her Taiwanese parents who have very strict ideas as to what her future should hold.
publishes Feb. 6th
review copy from Edelweiss

Currently Reading

The Oceans between Stars
The Oceans Between Stars
by Kevin Emerson
So some questions were answered after the first book, but now I have a lot more.... Amazing sci-fi!

The Serpent's Secret (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond, #1)
The Serpent's Secret
by Sayantani DasGupta
Poor Serpent's Secret - it keeps getting pushed off because of all of my other reading responsibilities!  It hasn't taken me this long to read it because they is something wrong, just too many books to read!  I'll get back to it soon :)

Happy Reading!

12 comments:

  1. Being a dog mom, Checked is definitely a book i need to add to my TBR list. I just loved The Art of the Swap and after reading I wish I lived closer to Newport so I could visit the Elms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm waiting for Digger and Flower from the library. I checked out The Great Dictionary Caper and it looks like it has great illustrations. The Art of the Swap and Checked are on my list to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of your reading always amazes me - love coming here Mondays and getting a summary. Checked is one I will be looking to recommend to a student I taught last year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Checked sounds nice and I've enjoyed Cynthia Kadohata's other books, too. I have Mae, will read it soon, noting the others, too, Michele. How great you got to read Jane's book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to get my hands on The Art of the Swap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was able to order Mae Among the Stars from my library. I'll keep an eye out for the rest of them. Thanks for a great list. Have a terrific week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am excited about Jane's book. I have to pick up another book this morning and am excited to see that it is available there!
    American Panda is one I am most interested in reading myself. I have had former students come in to talk to me about this very same issue.
    I have referred the Princess Pulverizer series to my niece with a 5 year old daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the heads up on the Mae Jamieson book. I'm looking forward to reading that one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love your description of The Digger and the Flower - That is just what we want readers to do - Can't wait to get a copy of this book. So excited to see Jane's book on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mae among the stars looks good - and I've put all of Joseph Kuefler's books on my To-Read stack on Goodreads - those are the kinds of picturebooks that I naturally gravitate towards. :) Thanks so much for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How to Grow a Dinosaur would be perfect for my older son. It's great to hear that it works as a How-To book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm excited that American Panda is almost here. I've been eagerly awaiting it. :)

    ReplyDelete